2498 Chiefswood Road  •  P.O. Box 5000 Ohsweken ON  •  N0A 1M0                           Home     |      Contact Us    |     Privacy
  Six Nations Land Claim
Summaries
(Basis &
Allegations)

  Filed with Specific
Claims (29)

  Potential Claims to be
researched
(Click On Image for Printable pdf Version)
The Haldimand Treaty of 1784
Whereas His Majesty having been pleased to direct that in consideration of the early attachment to his cause manifested by the Mohawk Indians and of the loss of their settlement which they thereby sustained - that a ...   View More
Return to
Previous Page
23. Source of the Grand River
On October 25, 1784, Sir Frederick Haldimand, Captain General and Governor in Chief, issued a Treaty authorizing Six Nations to take possession of and settle upon the Banks of the Grand River. The lands extending for six miles from each side of the river beginning at Lake Erie and extending in that proportion to the head of the Grand River. Wherein, members of Six Nations and their descendants were to enjoy forever. The lands under the Haldimand Treaty consisted of approximately 950,000 acres.

Subsequently on January 14, 1793, Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe issued a Patent which granted to Six Nations forever, "all of that territory of land forming part of the district lately purchased by the Imperial Crown from the Mississauga Nation, beginning at the mouth of the Grand River where it empties itself into Lake Erie, and running along the Banks of the Grand River for a space of six miles on each side of the river, or a space co-extensive therewith", and continuing along the Grand River to a place known by the name of the Forks, and from there along the main stream of the Grand River for the space of six miles on each side of the main stream, or for a space equally extensive therewith. The lands allocated to Six Nations under the Simcoe Patent consist of approximately 675,000 acres being only a portion of the Haldimand Treaty lands of 1784.


ALLEGATIONS

The Crown failed to grant to Six Nations, by the Simcoe Patent, the lands extending to the head of the Grand River (located north of the present Township of Nichol) in the Township of Melancthon. The lands consisted of approximately 275,000 acres, which Six Nations were entitled to have reserved for them under the Haldimand Treaty.

**These are brief summaries and they are subject to change as additional research information may be acquired
  2008 Six Nations Council. All rights reserved.
Six Nations Lands and Resources is a Department of the Six Nations Council