2498 Chiefswood Road  •  P.O. Box 5000 Ohsweken ON  •  N0A 1M0                           Home     |      Contact Us    |     Privacy
  Six Nations Land Claim
Summaries
(Basis &
Allegations)

  Filed with Specific
Claims (29)

  Potential Claims to be
researched
(Click On Image for Printable pdf Version)
(Click On Image for Printable pdf Version)
The Haldimand Treaty of 1784
Whereas His Majesty having been pleased to direct that in consideration of the early attachment to his cause manifested by the Mohawk Indians and of the loss of their settlement which they thereby sustained - that a ...   View More
Return to
Previous Page
Purported Surrender No. 31 - Talbot Road Lands, Highway #3, Cayuga Township - 20,670 8/10 acres
In 1830, John Colborne, Lieutenant Governor, proposed to Six Nations that they should cede to the Crown lands to construct the Talbot Road from Canborough Township to Rainham Township, along with 99 acres on each side of the road. These lands would be sold for the benefit of Six Nations. Six Nations consented to the Governor’s proposal and on April 19, 1831, and a Purported Surrender No. 31 was executed for sale of 20,670 8/10 acres located in the North part of Cayuga Township.

Subsequently in 1831, Six Nations consented to the Crown’s proposal that 100 acres should be laid off on each side of the Talbot Road and be sold to settlers for Six Nations’ financial benefit. However, Six Nations reserved for their use and benefit two (2) miles (approximately 3,300 acres) on each side of the Grand River along the Talbot Road.

In November, 1831, the Crown ordered a reservation of one (1) mile (approximately 1,700 acres) on each side of the Grand River and in December, 1831, at Public Auction of the Indian Lands, the lots were sold in 200 acres not 100 acres as previously agreed by Six Nations.

Six Nations in Council from January 28 to February 2, 1833, consented to cede for sale a small part of their reserved lands on each side of the Talbot Road in order for a Town to be established. Consequently, part of Lots 29 to 35 of 100 acres each, on each side of the Talbot Road was reserved for the Cayuga Town Plot.

In the 1840's and 1850's, the Cayuga Town Plot (lots 29-35) was sold. As all of the said lots were used for the Town Plot, they should have been sold in quarter acre Town Lots, however, some lots were sold in larger sizes.


ALLEGATIONS

There were no descriptive plans signed, witnessed and attached to the Purported Surrender No. 31, in accordance with 1812 Governor's Instructions for the alienation of Indian lands. There is no Order-in-Council wherein the Crown formally accepted and sanctioned the Purported Surrender No. 31.

Six Nations consented to convey to the King only the lands required to construct the Talbot Road as well as 99 acres on each side of the Talbot Road. As well, Six Nations reserved for their use and benefit two (2) miles (approximately 3,300 acres) on each side of the Grand River along the Talbot Road and only one (1) mile (approximately 1,700 acres) including the Grand River was reserved for them.

Six Nations did not receive full and fair compensation for the lands contained in the Purported Surrender No. 31, with specific attention being made to Cayuga Town plot wherein the lots were sold in sizes larger than quarter acre Town Lots.

The Crown has not shown that all the purported sums paid on the lands in the Purported Surrender No. 31 were credited to the Six Nations Trust Fund Accounts.

**This chronology represents preliminary research by Six Nations and will require further work before being made final.
  © 2008 Six Nations Council. All rights reserved.
Six Nations Lands and Resources is a Department of the Six Nations Council