Chief Sherri-Lyn Hill follows up on Six Nations of the Grand River’s territorial jurisdiction over the GlebeLands in Brantford

On Thursday, November 9, Elected Chief Sherri-Lyn Hill followed up on former Chief Mark Hill’s visit from a couple of weeks ago to address an ongoing situation on the Glebe Lands, a parcel of Six Nations of the Grand River (SNGR) Territory located in Brantford. It has come to our attention that some individuals are occupying these lands without Six Nations authorization.

SNGR has not authorized occupancy on the Glebe Lands in Brantford. SNGREC and Chief Sherri-Lyn Hill attended the site and informed those currently on our land that they are requested to leave immediately to respect the sovereignty and rights of our Six Nations community.

SNGR will be working with the City of Brantford and Mayor Kevin Davis, as well as local law enforcement agencies, to facilitate the monitoring and enforcement of our Territory in this area. Six Nations expects a collaborative effort between Six Nations Police (SNPS) and Brantford Police to bring about a peaceful resolution that upholds the integrity of Six Nations jurisdiction.

The people unlawfully on our Territory need to respect our land, and all Canadian, Ontarian, and municipal law enforcement officials must put an end to any crime reported to be occurring in the area. Neither Six Nations nor the community in Brantford can tolerate conditions that can lead to grave crimes like human trafficking.

While we take a stand against external threats, we are ensuring that our members are safe. Chief Sherri-Lyn Hill and Coun. Greg Frazer also handed out support information for those in need. SNGR has support services available for our members who are in need and encourages non-members in need to contact the City of Brantford or any other appropriate relief organization for assistance.

“As Chief Mark Hill pointed out, the occupying of the Glebe Lands has gone on for quite some time and we want to put a stop to this,” Chief Sherri-Lyn Hill said. “We are encouraging a safe and immediate solution and are working in co-operation with the City of Brantford to make this happen. Over the next week or so, we will be following up on site to see the progress.”